The thing I have noticed about BJP supporters these days is that, they come in 3 kinds:
1. The optimist – One who was fed up with years of UPA rule and the scams that ensued. The one who was optimistic of BJP and Modi being the change that India vehemently needs that he vowed his allegiance to BJP trusting the Utopian picture they painted as our future.
2. The fan – One who is an ardent fan of Modi, who bought into the whole ‘Gujarat model’ a marketing gimmick trumped up by his portfolio consultant, Mr.Prashant Kishor (who later became the strategy consultant of Nitish Kumar in Bihar and scripted his success as well). The sad soul who fell for “Modi ke chakkar” – apt usage by one of the poor tour guides I met in North India, who now regrets having voted for BJP.
3. The believer – One who supports BJP because he is a hardcore temple goer, Hindu propagandist and believes in Hindu supremacy. If not superficially, but at least deep down, below the surface he believes that India is Hindustan and not Bharat. (Also that all Muslims should go to Pakistan.. and may be even that all Christians should go to Jerusalem, Buddhists to Tibet, Atheists to China, may be 😉 )
While most people, including 1 & 2 would agree that 3 is the most dangerous kind around, there are some similarities I could draw up among these three in these trying times of political hypocrisies.
- Get extremely offended if we say anything against their beloved ‘Modiji’ or his work so far.
- Get very defensive of anything and everything BJP does; when it incites communalism or even when it is just ridiculously preposterous. They go to the ends of the earth to support Modi and his blunders.
- Rarely have any valid and factual responses to genuinely critical questions we ask about the Modi regime. It is always beating around the bush when we expect a rationale, which is extremely frustrating.
- When questioned about the Modi’s or BJP leaders’ hypocritical statements that they made previously as opposed to their actions now, or when presented with solid facts and figures that shows Modi’s rule as highly questionable, they realise they are cornered and end up either attacking us personally with silly inanities, or deleting our comments and sometimes even the post altogether.
- And some stoops down to the level of completely blocking us or deleting us from their Facebook even. (I guess following the modus operandi of their demigod Modi – or do I daresay despot 😐 – by shutting out anyone who raises voice against him)
Time and again, I find this a very curious case only among many BJP and Modi proponents, which I haven’t seen in Communist, Congress or AAP supporters. The symptoms and characteristics are so very similar in each case. Especially the last 2. 😀
And hence the sudden urge to write this.
Sorry if any ‘Sanghis’ or ‘Bhakths’ got offended. I know the delete and block button isn’t very far for you. Please feel free. 😉